www.PDHonline.com - Your Gateway to Lifelong Learning   |   Email: PDHonline@Gmail.com   
PDH Online Course Description PDH Units/
Learning Units (Hours)

Buy Now

View Course

View or Take Quiz


Solar Power Installations on Closed Landfills

Mark P. Rossow, Ph.D, PE Retired

Estimates for the total number of closed landfills in the United States run as high as 100,000. These landfills are attractive locations for siting solar power installations because 1) landfills are typically in areas where community concerns over aesthetic impacts are less likely, 2) the land often cannot be used for other purposes such as commercial or residential development, and 3) using landfills for solar power installations removes pressure to convert greenfield sites to power production. This course provides an overview of the technical and regulatory facets of constructing solar farms on closed landfills. The different types of solar technologies are discussed, and their suitability for installation on a landfill cap is indicated. General guidance on some of the most common engineering obstacles of landfill reuse is provided. Finally regulatory and liability issues arising from building on a brownfield or Superfund site that has been cleaned up or is undergoing cleanup are discussed.

This course includes a multiple-choice quiz at the end, which is designed to enhance the understanding of the course materials.

View Course Content

NY PE & PLS: You must choose courses that are technical in nature or related to matters of laws and ethics contributing to the health and welfare of the public. NY Board does not accept courses related to office management, risk management, leadership, marketing, accounting, financial planning, real estate, and basic CAD. Specific course topics that are on the borderline and are not acceptable by the NY Board have been noted under the course description on our website.

AIA Members: You must take the courses listed under the category "AIA/CES Registered Courses" if you want us to report your Learning Units (LUs) to AIA/CES. If you take courses not registered with AIA/CES, you need to report the earned Learning Units (not qualified for HSW credits) using Self Report Form provided by AIA/CES.