Alternative and Renewable Energy Sources
Jim Newton, P.E., DEE
This eight hour course provides valuable information for those individuals who are looking for renewable or alternative energy sources for their operations. It was designed by an instructor who has developed and implemented numerous similar training courses.
This course includes a multiple-choice quiz at the end, which is designed to
enhance the understanding of the course materials.
At the conclusion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand the basics facts of energy;
- Understand how fossil fuels are used;
- Understand the history of energy use;
- Understand the problems with the current system;
- Understand how to balance fossil fuels with alternative sources;
- Understand what energy is;
- Understand how to bridge the gap between policy and pollution;
- Understand basic energy metrics;
- Understand the fundamental laws governing energy consumption;
- Understand electrical energy;
- Understand the real cost of power;
- Understand the basic fuels from the fossil fuel era and beyond;
- Understand basic energy consumption trends;
- Understand current energy availability and cost;
- Understand basic combustion processes;
- Understand common combustion sources;
- Understand how to process fuels into useable power;
- Understand the efficiency and conservation concepts;
- Understand strategies for reducing energy consumption;
- Understand the efficiency and conservation changes one can make;
- Understand global warming concepts;
- Understand other pollution problems associated with energy;
- Understand the basics of nuclear energy;
- Understand fission principles;
- Understand hydrogen fusion principles;
- Understand how to turn sunlight into energy;
- Understand the economics of solar power;
- Understand the future of photvoltaics;
- Understand the basics of hydropower;
- Understand small scale hydropower generation;
- Understand the growing market for wind energy;
- Understand wind farms;
- Understand small scale wind power concepts;
- Understand geothermal energy basics;
- Understand creating electrical power using geothermal;
- Understand geothermal heat pumps;
- Understand biomass basics;
- Understand small scale biomass systems;
- Understand the basics of using wood as a renewable source;
- Understand basic hydrogen fuel cells;
- Understand basic vehicle power history;
- Understand flex fuel concepts;
- Understand electric vehicle concepts;
- Understand battery issues;
- Understand how hybrid vehicles work;
- Understand vehicle fuel cell fundamentals;
- Understand vehicle fuel cell challenges;
- Understand exotic propulsion systems; and
- Understand the ten myths about energy.
The intended audience for this course is any professional who is interested in alternative or renewable energy sources.
Benefit to Attendees
Attendees of this course will under stand the basic concepts of alternative and renewable energy sources.
The water and wastewater industry relies heavily on electricity and other fossil fuels to provide the energy necessary to treat drinking water and wastewater. Fossil fuels are limited in the available quantities and non-renewable and at some time will be depleted. This course will look at the issue of fossil fuels and provide an understanding of the alternative, renewable energy sources that are available for use at water and wastewater facilities. It will also include a discussion of key engineering and other factors needed to adopt some or all of these alternatives as energy sources.
This course is based the following course handout:
Alternative and Renewable Energy Sources (PDF, 6.5 MB)
Because of the large file size, we recommend that you first save the file to your computer by right clicking the mouse and choosing "Save Target As ...", and then open the file in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
If you would like learn more about the subject, you may purchase the following book from Amazon.com or Barnes and Nobles or borrow it from your local library. You may also be able to find an electronic version from e-bookstores on the Internet if time is of essence (enter search phrase "Alternative Energy for Dummies PDF" in Google) or as a Kindle version from Amazon.
Alternative Energy For Dummies by Rik DeGunther
This course discusses basic alternative or renewable energy sources and concepts with basic design criteria.
information related to this subject, please visit the following websites or
Barnes and Nobles
you finish studying the
above course content,
you need to
take a quiz
to obtain the PDH credits.
DISCLAIMER: The materials
contained in the online course are not intended as a representation or warranty
on the part of PDH Center or any other person/organization named herein. The materials
are for general information only. They are not a substitute for competent professional
advice. Application of this information to a specific project should be reviewed
by a registered architect and/or professional engineer/surveyor. Anyone making
use of the information set forth herein does so at their own risk and assumes
any and all resulting liability arising therefrom.